I can't believe it has been five years since that dreadful day. I remember how it all went for me. I was here in Colorado, still struggling with finding out if I would become a church intern, why the woman I was so infatuated with didn't want to date me, how I was going to start the long road of getting a real job and stop waiting tables, and why at the old age of 26 I felt so misplaced.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you," declares the LORD, "and will bring you back from captivity. I will gather you from all the nations and places where I have banished you," declares the LORD, "and will bring you back to the place from which I carried you into exile." Jeremiah 29:11-14
I wrestled with this scripture for almost two hours after I witness the collapse of both towers. I was living at Walnut Creek Apartments with Roel and Frank, at the time. Frank's mother called to say, "put the TV on, can you believe this, your sister is a few blocks from there." Not knowing who I was talking to, I put the TV on, realized it was Mrs. Friedl and woke up Frank. At that point I had a few messages from local friends call. I couldn't talk to them or get in touch with the family back home for awhile.
I called work, let Marty know I'd get there when I could, and he was understanding. I remember I walked around Safeway shopping center and then the tears flowed, I sat down on a bench and cried out, "where is there plan of prosperity, safety and hope?" After some time, I was able to feel comfort about the fact that the 2,700+ people were saved through their death, from suffering and in ability to return to what they knew as their world.
From that point on, those of who had ties to New York, couldn't help but feel emptied out from the news that the towers would no longer be there. I will never be able to take my family to the top of the Towers, like my father did with us. If I were to search, I'm sure I have a picture of my family up there when I was about 7 or 8 years old.
Anyway, that day still hurts my heart. I know it was the last time I cried in prayer to our father in heaven. I still wonder how could we have such a horrible event happen to us. This wasn't just an attack on the United States but on all of human kind. The Spirit that can overwhelm us, is quite powerful, and I am grateful for making my commitment to God when I did. I would not have known how to respond to the news of that day. I'm saddened when I think I will never be able to share the towers with my family, but I am glad I have the hope that comes with my faith in God.
To those of you who still hurt, so do I.