Pages

21 April 2010

(smell the fries)

Last weekend, My Wife and I went to the marrieds retreat put on by the DCC. We brought in a couple from San Diego. They co-taught the first lesson on Saturday, the second was broken up by men and women, and the final lesson in the day was by subject/ministry. I think this was one of the more memorable lessons for me. My Wife and I attended the class on refienment/dealing with stressors in marriage. I know the biggest take away for was the snipit of a story about a silversmith and Malachi 3:3.

As a little tradition for myself, based on the encouragement of a missionary that our church supports, I have speakers sign my Bible. I know this seems corny and odd and almost fanatical, but I find it tremendously encouraging. I went up the brother after he preached the Sunday morning sermon and asked him to sign my Bible. It had been almost ten years earlier that I heard him preach, and the one thing he said during that sermon that has stuck with me since then was this.
As a brother in Christ, not as an Evangelist in God's church, I charge you with the care of your family ministry. I have seen many miracles by our God, and I have seen a great number of victories in my life and in those of the Disciples around me. I have three children and an awesome wife in which I have the responsibility to lead Christ, and I would considerate a great loss if I can not lead my family to Christ. - Men of Honor ca. spring 2001
Last fall, I was in the same room with some of my favorite preachers, one of which was this brother. He was in charge running a meeting of over 100 people, and his first charge to the group was, "before leaving this room, tell someone how much they mean to you." I ran into another Evangelist and told him how encouraging his words have been to me since I was a young Christian and had him sign my Bible. I was planing on telling the other brother the same, but by the time I was done, he had left. So on this Sunday, when I could corner him, I first told him about how the above has echoed in my heart over the last nine plus years, and how I hope to be as successful as he has been with his family of Disciples, with all of his children are strong and active Disciples in their respective ministries. The other part was to have him actually sign my Bible.

This small tradition of mine has put some Evangelists on the spot, but it is important to remember that as Disciples, we all have inheritance in God's Kingdom and therefore we are family. As the missionary said about the churches he has helped build, "your brothers and sisters will hold to these words you put in their Bible and proudly show others 'what their brothers and sisters wrote to them.'" I do show others from time to time who has signed my Bible, but mostly I love what they sign, remember the cross, glad to serve with you, thank you and keep fighting the good fight. I will continue this tradition and will happily show my children some day.