Pages

20 November 2008

(then indulge in)

He must hold firmly to the trustworthy message as it has been taught, so that hecan encourage others by sound doctrine and refute those who oppose it. Titus 1:9

Verse 8 continues, without a break in the sentence, to enumerate some positive and observable characteristics of blameless conduct. The leader must be hospitable. This widely praised virtue in that day was practically a social obligation for the householder. It also became a mark of Christian behavior (Rom 12:13; 1 Pet 4:9). What sometimes passes for hospitality today (the entertainment of friends and church members, often with the expectation of a return invitation) is a rather dim reflection of the New Testament concept. The practice of hospitality among Christians was often urgent, sacrificial and risky: urgent because Christians might be forced from homes or jobs with no one to turn to but fellow Christians; sacrificial because material goods were often in short supply; risky because to associate oneself with those who had been forced out meant to identify with their cause. Thus hospitality required sacrificial sharing and stretching. It was a very practical expression of love, not a source of entertainment. While the practice of hospitality had primarily the needs of believers in mind, there is no reason that it could not be a way of showing concern for unbelievers. The importance of this practice for the church, in either case, required that a leader must model it for all (1 Tim 3:2; 5:10).

In reading Paul's Pastoral Letters, I have found a good challenge to being a better leader, but more importantly a more hospitable Disciple. I can associate with the fact that being hospitable is urgent, risky and sacrificial. I'm glad we're having our house warming party soon, because it gets me to the point that I need to share my home, even if I've got to sell my liver to put food out for everyone.