Pages

20 November 2008

(information and to register)

Here I am, escaping my responsibilities and trying to hide away from life. I met with Jim this morning at 5:30 am. It was good to be with him. We struggle with different things, but it's just good to have him always
  1. point me back to the Bible
  2. see what it means to be soft hearted and open and
  3. see what God has working for us.
As of late, I've been cruising the market for what I thought was a second job. I'm struggling to enjoy my job, I've pulled back to some degree, mainly because they've cut hours. My combined paychecks don't amount to much, and I feel burdened to do something about it. I don't think I ever felt that way when I was with Old Chicago. Everyone I know said they were using me, but honestly, I know my boundaries and I didn't do things I didn't like. Granted, I did go over the top, but it was mainly because I wanted to get noticed. I opened two restaurants for them, I took trips to Tucson, I spent an entire summer working in many different restaurants, and I took home work I should have done at work on the clock. Again, I did it to get noticed and I was never put in a position of guilt for not going along with what I was asked to do.

At Hacienda Colorado, I wouldn't say the opposite was true, but I was asked to "take advantage of" hourly employees and appeal to their selfish needs. I think that was why I never really fit in, and at the same time saw the light in what I wanted to do, cook. At Upstairs/Downstairs, I really do the things I do there because I hate, running out of food, not having the tools I need to do my job and most importantly no one else can step in the gap. Granted we have some cooks who can do the things I do, but to them it's a job to cook, not a passion to serve unique food. I wanted to work at Upstairs/Downstairs because I wanted the challenge of opening a restaurant and the possibility to take on a position of "authority" right out of school. Well, I met the challenge and fell into that role, but honestly the people around me don't lust for food like I do, and if I wanted to be around those people, I would apply to be a Kitchen Manager for Old Chicago and reap the benefits of being a 10 year employee.

To the meat of the matter. As I was sitting there with Jim, I realized I'm failing in leading my wife. She is far more spiritual than I am and I find myself learning from her too many times than I feeding her the scriptures. I know this seems so minor and trivial for some, but having been faithful to the Lord for the last eight years of my life, I realized I've stunted to the point of regression. I've read the same things over and over again, I don't feel like I'm gaining wisdom. This also comes on the heels of Wade's lesson about supplementing Quiet Times with commentaries. Jim did something I haven't seen done since I used to do them as a young Disciple, NOTE CARDS. So with this post, I want to put forth the challenge to
  1. read some sort of commentary with my Quiet Time
  2. write done the little nugget that I find in the scriptures and hold it with me
  3. share more about what I'm learning with people around me.
So if you see around, ask me what I've learned, because it is important.