Recently, our church has been going through some changes with Herve and Janet scheduled to leave for San Antonio. I'm excited for them to be back in the mission field they love. I'm proud of them and excited to find out more about the work they will be doing in the African mission field. With this being said, our region is going through some soul searching about what they want. In talking to a sister last night I realized that as our family of churches gets older, congregations know what they are looking for an evangelist and women's ministry leader.
Boise, a great congregation, is in search for a specific quality in a couple to lead the church. In the past, Denver was fortunate to be able to help fill the gap and have a ministry couple ready to go up there and lead the church. Now, we are having a hard time coming up with leaders to take charge of a bible talk (small/family group).
Much of this has to do with 2003 when we had an eye opening letter by a dear brother/elder in London. My faith was rocked, more so about the number of people getting married so quickly, the number of paid leaders stepping out to follow secular jobs, the weaker members leaving because they didn't have a strong foundation in the word, etc. I stood there watch as my friends left because they had felt oppressed, they felt they were told to do things out of obligation to the Kingdom, and felt pressure to be exactly like the other members of the ministry they were a part of.
Anyway, I'm hoping that the upcoming changes in the North and West region will bring friends back to flock. I know that some of my friends have felt recently they do not fit in with the people in their ministry, as well as some people leaving because they do not feel they can live up to God's call of righteousness. I know when I came around, I said, "I'll be a moderate member." Basically getting in with God enough to make it to heaven. In the year I was with the CU campus ministry, I learned being a Disciple is caring for one another and wanting to spend time with one another.
From there I moved on to the Teen Ministry that became so near and dear to my heart. While I was there I campaigned to see if any of my friends would have a heart to serve in the Teens. Of course after two and a half years, my time of effectiveness was over, and I was asked to move on to the Singles Ministry which I was a passive leader helping the three Bible Talk Leaders move a massive group to getting around one another.
Back to the question, I love God and His Kingdom on Earth. I know my immediate family has a hard time with how dedicated I am to the church. It's understandable, because they didn't find out from me directly that I was going to church or even getting baptized on to the roster for heaven. Those who have left the church say they love God, just that they no longer feel like they can have their needs met at our church. Others that have left, it's no doubt they left God, but God is the only one who makes that call. Then there is others who just faded away, they moved from the focus of a particular member to the fringe to no longer at church.
I just want to know, why they really left. I love the arrogance of our church's past, the zealousness of the members and the blind of faith of some new born Disciples. I miss those days and I know they will return with the change in leadership and structure. I have a hard time with people saying they aren't getting their needs met, but I don't know what they need and I am not the one to judge their heart for God. My hope is when the trumpet blows, we will all be able to share in the master's glory. For those of you who left, feel free to tell me, because fellowship is not the same anymore.