Pages

30 March 2007

Can you bake by numbers?

Alright, I have conquered the fear. I have made dessert items at Old Chicago, but it's in monstrous amounts of stuff when you prep the batters. Chocolate Chip Cookies are served in nine inch pans and cheesecake is served in slices that should serve three. When I was in Tucson, OC had a promotion that couldn't keep cheesecake in house. I don't know what it is, but people ordered it like it was going out of style. There I learned two basic things about cheesecake. 1. You can not make it in the Hobart mixer. 2. Treat cheesecake like a pudding/custard when you bake it.

So I returned to being a pastry cook and I baked two batches of mini-chocolate cheesecakes and now a batch of chocolate chip cookies. Two things you would hope I could not to mess up. because I had made them before. I have heard baking is more like a chemistry project than cooking is. There is a certain amount of each ingredient you need to get it turn from a pile of ichk to three dozen cookies. Cooking is about feeling and taste where baking is about precision.

Anyway, I owe you all alot more of than just this, but I have to spend time with my God in his word.