Pages

27 November 2006

Whirlwind Thanksgiving Plans

Okay, so I'm not a big fan of people having their most memorable events in conjunction with holiday or holiday weekends for that matter. I guess I'm going to have to get over it because my wife's birthday is Independence Day. Because we had been planing on my leaving Old Chicago for quite some time, Amy and I were not planing on going to New York because of my management training. Anyway, as we prayed about things and looked in to our crystal ball, we thought it would be better if at least I went to New York for Rob and Mausam's Post-Reception Party, Saturday after Thanksgiving.

Here is how the weekend worked out. Wednesday, I had to be at work for swing shift as a server. I was home around 10:00 p.m. or so. Thursday, was a late morning for the two of us. Although, Amy did bake an incredible cake and apple pie for dessert, in that time. I cooked breakfast and we spent the morning lazily enjoying each other's company. Of course, at some point, I said something that upset Amy, and we bumped about it until we got to Mike and Jody's house for dinner. We spent the better part of the afternoon there with Dan and Kelly, as well. Jody's parents were there as well as Dan's parents, and we were like kids and stole away to play fun games. Friday, I had another swing shift, where I had to host all day long. I left around eight to catch the red eye on jetBlue into JFK airport.

I arrived at 6:00 a.m. and caught the train to Long Island. I spent the morning catching up with the family; then we headed off to Rob and Maussam's party at noon. The party was great, there were people there I haven't seen in years, like Paul, Big Jim, and Rob's extended family. Dinner as fine, the celebration was great, and we were able to perform the lion dance for them in celebration of their marriage. We were home by 7:00 p.m. and I had one of my heavy duty headaches, which had me suffering for the better part of three hours. I crashed on the couch with my mom and dad watching Mr. Deeds, because mom had never seen it.

I woke up around 5:15 a.m. and my father who was going to drive me in, woke up sick to his stomach. He was quick to call a cab/town car and I was whooshed off to go to JFK. I was so glad that I had not checked any luggage on, because lines were already huge and it wasn't even 7:00 a.m. yet. I had traveled on the holiday weekend before, and I had my share of busy and hectic lines at the check in counter. With all things said and done, I am grateful to have been able to go to New York and celebrate such a great occasion. I still don't think it is necessary to plan your memorable events around the convenience of holiday weekends, because it makes people break some traditions they may have held since they were young.

Anyway, as I type this up, I am grateful to be able to make the trip, even if was for thirty-six hours, it was worth making the effort to be there for such a great friend. If it were not for the technological advances we have now, I would not be able to spend on night traveling almost 2,000 miles and return a day later with out loosing anything but my sanity and some shut eye.