Pages

13 October 2006

Self-Control Is a Fruit of the Spirit

Similarly, encourage the young men to be self-controlled. In everything set them an example by doing what is good. In your teaching show integrity, seriousness and soundness of speech that cannot be condemned, so that those who oppose you may be ashamed because they have nothing bad to say about us. Titus 2:6-8

Amy and are trying to get our arms around our debt. Today, we had lunch and she shared how I hurt her feelings about last night as she was headed to a coffee shop to sit and talk with another sister. I had mentioned to her not to spend too much money when she was there. I did the whole rubbing fingers, the sign for money, at her. This hurt her feelings, and I didn't realize it. She told me today.

As we were going over our finances, and the subject of spending money at Starbucks, she made the point that it wasn't that much money spent over the course of two and a half months. It's true, it wasn't, but the point was to be disciplined with our money and not just say, "It's only two bucks, it won't matter." I likened it to sin, and that's when I realized what we were learning in Bible Talk last night.

When it comes to evangelizing our neighborhoods, we have to take a stand against our laziness to open our mouths with the gospel and let those around us have a chance to know God. It is scary to go out and door knock and share my faith. I'm more the type to be the "how's it going" guy in church than "I don't know you, but come and here the word preached." I am not the type who likes to meet people who I don't know. I don't like being disappointed about having some one come and not study the Bible. Paul said it best in his letter to the church in Ephesus.

But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God's holy people. Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving. Ephesians 5:3-4

Not letting those around know you are a Disciple, is a sin like sexual immorality. That is how God sees it. I know this is harsh, but I have to Disciple my own heart to get out of myself and ask some one to come to church or Bible Talk. How we act in front of people who aren't Disciples, is truly who we are for God. I heard Gavin MacLeod, the captain from the Love Boat, say, "our lives are the only glimpse of the Gospel some people will ever see." Walking around with this kind of conviction can't help but make you want to bring glory to God in your lifestyle.