Pages

14 June 2014

(clean to the heat)

The other day at iWork, I was asked to put together a special menu for an event. I came up with this beauty of the season:

Grilled Flank Steak
Beet Demi-Glace and MouCo Camembert

Horseradish Whipped Potatoes

Zucchini and Local Root Vegetables

Why such a crazy menu? Well, I feel it's my responsibility as a cook to help other experience food in different ways. Most people don't like beets, because some time long ago some one boiled them until they were bland and tasteless, or until the wonderful earthiness starts to turns in to a sulfuric muddy mess. This is a crime to itself, but when its done well, beets are sweet and aromatic. We braise them off with a bouquet garnis and orange juice. I also chose this menu, because when given licence to create a menu, I love pushing the boundaries of what people will let themselves eat, and when I find people who aren't that adventurous, then I want to push them to the edge of what they will eat.