Some of you might know this about me, but I've become a closet Euro. After a six month adventure of culinary school, talking about European food cultures, spending a month in Provence, and then being a fan of the Tour de France (by extension cycling in general) this transformation was likely to happen. This week has been the start of the great cycling classics through the Arden Forest (between France and Belgium). Last weekend was the Tour of Flanders, this weekend is Paris-Roubaix, in between has been the Tour of the Basque Country.
With the great advances in technology, we now have DVRs (Tivo for all of you who don't know the generic) that allow us to record shows, rather than trying to time my cable box with my VCR to record a show. Back to being a closet Euro, I've spent the week watching replays of the cycling race and I find myself yearning to return and tour the Northern Mediterranean to quench my thirst for civility, tradition and quality food.
Today's race takes place during the rain. As I watch it, I feel the chill the athletes are experiencing riding in the rain. This quickly reminded me of what it felt like when I would work with my father installing underground sprinkler systems. Our philosophy was similar to U.S. Mail, "...through rain sleet snow..." We were booked five to six weeks out on installations, so to postpone an install was not an option.
As I was watching the race I could remember the few days we did have some rain, some of us would walk around Avignon, the cobbled streets, the ancient walls of the old city, the Pope's Palace, the farmers' markets, the carefree disposition to the rain, and a band of a dozen Americans trying to enjoy the experience. I often wish life was just within a walking miles of my home, like it was when I was there. Where I could walk to work, on the way pick up a few things at the store, stop by for a quick bite and then head off on my walk to work. I wish my friends just a few blocks down, where we just show up and spend hours enjoying the moment. There is a simplicity of it all, almost like a return to being a kid.
The rainy race brought up two distinct memories to me. One as a kid, working in the rain, through the wet season on Long Island and the other wanting to go to back to France and sample some wonderful pastries, cheeses and charcuterie. My memories trigger from some the strangest things. As I look to the right of my TV I'm reminded that I have one of the best things in my life. All those memories and desires are eclipsed by the fact that I am married to the most amazing woman in the world. Someday we'll be able to go France and build new memories together.