Pages

14 January 2009

(what we are? what we are)

Arise, O LORD, in your anger;
rise up against the rage of my enemies.
Awake, my God; decree justice.

Let the assembled peoples gather around you.
Rule over them from on high;

let the LORD judge the peoples.
Judge me, O LORD, according to my righteousness,
according to my integrity, O Most High.

O righteous God,
who searches minds and hearts,
bring to an end the violence of the wicked
and make the righteous secure.

My shield is God Most High,
who saves the upright in heart.

God is a righteous judge,
a God who expresses his wrath every day. Psalm 7:6-11
In reading my Easy English Commentary, I have confirmed what I believe when it comes to God in prayer. In the context of this psalm, it is believed that Cush, a Benjamite, and Saul were looking to kill David. It's thought that Cush had sparked Saul in going after David because Cush was already upset with David. It appears that David is loosing some patience in God when he asks Him to awake, as if God were this sleeping giant.

We tend to get like that with God in prayer, we so desperately want certain things to happen, certain questions answered, events to make it clear as to what His will is for us, etc. It reminds me how in God's view I went out after a job in haste, and we clearly prayed for God to make it clear to us that it was a good decision. A few months later, I was terminated for performance reasons, and off I went after a dream to becoming a chef. When I say months I mean seven months later.

We so want the miracle to happen, we burn in desire to see what happens to others to happen to us. God works miracles on His own timing. He tends to only give you what you need, never what you desire. Often we confuse the two on our own, but He has a timing you can effect. Take Jesus first miracle, turning water into wine. Mary, his mother, was the only one to convince Jesus to give the world its first miracle. Jesus fights it off some, but He turns the water into wine and every one recognize that this isn't any old jar of wine, but rather the best they've ever had.

When I reflect on this more, I think about some the missionaries within the circle of churches we support. Many of the families that uproot themselves to live in developing countries put their children on international school wait lists early on in consideration process. Here in Denver, we are getting ready to send off a couple to Scandinavia, which was contingent on whether their youngest daughter would get accepted. With the child's acceptance, they moved the date up to February instead of the summer time.

I don't know what effected the timing, but it sure was God who worked all those things out. For my Wife and I, we are staying close to God through the challenges of my employment situation. I have a job that will start in February, I should be more grateful about it, than I am. I'm still searching for a situation I can only dream of. I just need to thank God for friends who allow me to work for them, working places that allow me to schmooze myself in, and ultimately for my Wife who has been my greatest cheerleader through it all.