Pages

22 November 2008

(star wide reciever)

I did it! I gave my notice last night. GM saw in my eyes I had something to say, so I told him first, before Chef. There is so much under the surface that I didn't share with them, like GM, and the other two owners; the lack of communication from the FOH to the HOH, the resistance movement from GM's guys.

I put it to both of them this way:
  • the food Downstairs is getting away from what I was sold on, which it was supposed to parallel Upstairs
  • cut hours
  • lack of compensation for what I do
  • the food we cook is not the way I want to cook
  • I could apply at Old Chicago and be a KM for them if I wanted to cook what Downstairs is cooking
I did also had these positive things to say:
  • I have learned a ton when it comes to food management
  • my eyes have been opened when it comes to possibilities to food
  • this has been a great step in my career to be part of a multi-concept-kitchen opening
  • I understand that the menu change for Downstairs was a need to recapture a segment in their market that was disappointed with the initial offering, and it takes some guts to get out of your food to feed others
So off I go into the sunset and head to the next challenge with my Chef instructor. At first I was going to take on a part time position with anyone I can find and still be at Upstairs/Downstairs. The more and more time went on, I realized I worry over the stupidest things, they keep me up at night and the worst of it all I'm in fear of a phone call about spending too much money on food. It's over. I'm going some where I'll be a bit more compensated for, cook the way I've fallen in love with and work with some more products that I enjoy eating.