Pages

01 January 2007

Xi Nian Kuai Le

Happy 2007! As you start to figure out the last number on the date has changed, you'll need to keep in mind some things that comes with the new beginning. Not everyone has the same opportunity to be joy full about the new year. Not everyone has the heart to change, because they don't have the means to sustain the change. Not everyone realizes they always have a chance to commit to changing their lives.

Yesterday for your worship service, J. Brian Craig sang a miniature concert for us. It was great! One of the members of the congregation gave us our communion charge. And the 2007 calendar, bible in a year and Vision Quest worksheet was handed out as well. Anyway, I am big fan of goals and dreams. As for resolutions, I am not a big fan of them. What I mean, is the whole idea of a resolution is to be resolved of something, or basically to start something or quit doing something. I believe I heard a statistic that cigarette sales decline in January, only to pick right back up in February. What a "resolution!"

Dreams and goals. Dreams turn into goals and goals have a road map to achieving them. Amy and I have a few goals to for the year. We have been attending a spiritual stewardship class for the past few months. It has been great and truly a heart check for both of us. We have or had an assignment to come up with a SMART goal in fighting down our debt. The advice is to approach it as making a snowman. Start with making big payments on a debt account that can be paid off quickly, then move on to another account, using the money you would have paid off first close account to pay that off. Keep going at it in this fashion, and pay off seems to get quicker and quicker, no matter how large the debt is.

With SMART goals there are five parts to them. Depending on who you talk to they are Specific, Measurable, Action or Attainable, Realistic or Relevant, and Time Bound.

Specific - what is it you want to achieve?
Measurable - when you have completed the steps, how to do you know you achieved the goal?
Action or Attainable - the steps you choose to follow to attain the goal
Realistic or Relevant - why are you willing to follow through on this specific goal?
Time Bound - this follows in suit with your steps, when do you expect to complete
each step?
Anyway, everyone loves this time of year to talk about mission statements, resolutions, and vision/dreams for the year. I love the thought of it, but understand, not having the specifics to getting there, only hurts your faith this time next year. When I talk about mission statements, I have an extreme passion about them. Mission statements are timeless and are not bound to period of time,like a mission statement of the year. It is something you choose to point you towards your true north. You may be thinking, "as a disciple, isn't my true north God?" Yes, and couple your personality, character, passion, and talents with living for God, and it looks nothing like my life. So, true north is not the same for you as it is for me.

I love visions and dreams, because they are cloudy and incomplete in achieving them. They become a wish list of things that some one may or may not be serious about. I keep falling into the trap of getting upset when Amy mentions going back to school, changing jobs or going back to the ranch. These are dreams for her, she's a dreamer and loves to talk about doing things, but it is just talk. Some one like me, who is goal driven or task orientated, it is hard for me to listen to her with out getting hurt. I just need to keep shifting my paradigm to match hers. I need to listen knowing she may not be serious about some of her dreams.
With that said, the title is how the Chinese say Happy New Year. They use another phrase which is Gong Xi Fa Cai, which is used more to wish you more than a new year. It is supposed to be well wishing of joy, luck and prosperity. Either way you shake it, people just love the start of the new year. It becomes a reason to loose weight, to start a new hobby, to clean house, etc. I look at it as time to reflect on my spirituality.
Happy New Year! May this time bring you the joy of starting something new, slowing something down or best yet bring glory to God. After all, you keep your north pointed to God, it really becomes a great experience to live life for Gods heart and your goals.