Pages

19 September 2006

Rebuild In the Neighborhood

Above the Horse Gate, the priests made repairs, each in front of his own house. Next to them, Zadok son of Immer made repairs opposite his house. Next to him, Shemaiah son of Shecaniah, the guard at the East Gate, made repairs. Next to him, Hananiah son of Shelemiah, and Hanun, the sixth son of Zalaph, repaired another section. Next to them, Meshullam son of Berekiah made repairs opposite his living quarters. Nehemiah 3:28-30

How convicting is this passage? When you think about the call to repair the wall and getting back to work for God's honor, you can't help wonder where should I start? Look at these men, they started right at home. I live in a situation that is a blessing and a challenge at the same time. We have Disciples across the hall from us. They are a young married couple who I have known the sister before I was baptized. Amy and I find it a joy to have them across the hall, and we know they do as well. In the rest of the building we live in, there are four to five other tenants, who I don't know if the other couple have shared their faith with (I should ask). I know I haven't at all, and it starts here at home.

The example of the those men getting into it, what looks like a lazy effort, really is a huge win for God. We all know those christians who say, "I share my faith by letting my light shine." I even think that's a great way to share my faith, but really, unless I say to other people, "I am a Disciple so 'come, follow me, and I will make you fishers of men,'" they won't follow me at all. I have to be willing to get out there and actually do the work to honor God. We have this dream, someone will see us, ask us about where they can find a church based on the church in Acts, and when we tell them about our church, they will automatically follow us to church. That is the premise of letting your light shine. Shining is sharing the light to others.

Reading Nehemiah, isn't easy for me to get something out. I had heard someone share on this passage about the some of other men who were building the wall, but it was a note in my NIV study bible that I read why listing the men who were a part of rebuilding the wall was there. The genealogies and lists that are through out the Old Testament are there for some reason. I am encouraged about them, because I find myself encouraged from finding out who people know that I know. Keep an eye out for these things in your personal Bible study. God puts things likes this to encourage our souls. He knows what we find comfort in, and God puts it there for us.